Much of Allen's work on DVD is available in boxsets. This is a film that didn't make any of the boxsets, and so I left it unviewed for a long time. It's also the film that Allen and Mia Farrow were working on when they separated and Allen started dating his current wife. I was curious to finally track down a copy and watch it, not only because I wanted to see it, but because I was curious how Allen and Farrow would "act" while the drama of their personal life was also playing itself out in the background. To be honest, if anything "bled over" from their personal lives, I couldn't tell. They act just as much like they always do in previous movies.
Not every Woody Allen movie needs to be funny, but I did feel like this one lacked the humor of some of his better films. The thematic material is the standard choice: Is it better to suffer through a bad marriage, or is the grass greener on the other side? And the related idea: People are "happier" once they realize life requires us to lower our expectations.
The film technique in this one is handheld cameras and a "documentary" approach. It's noticeable and ultimately doesn't work. When the handheld is in a public space, that's fine. But when it's used at parties, in the bedroom, or other intimate, private locations, it's not plausible. Likewise, if we're to believe that a film crew is everywhere filming the lives of these individuals --as well as all the individuals they interact with -- why doesn't anyone "notice" or acknowledge the cameras? For that matter, why would the different main characters willingly sit down and discuss their private lives and share their most intimate thoughts? They would have nothing to gain and much to lose.
I guess a third technique used in the film is the "talk over" dialogue. I felt like this was also more noticeable than in other Allen films. I'm sure it was to add to the "authenticity" to the conversations, but I wasn't a fan.
One last thought on the plot: Gabe (Woody Allen) and his wife Judy (Mia Farrow) do end up divorcing. Gabe has the chance to date one of his students, 21-year-old Rain (Juliette Lewis). Gabe, however, knows better than to try to start a relationship with her. She's too young, and for that matter, she has a history of dating older men -- and those relationships never work out. Gabe admits to "daydreaming" about dating younger women, but it's not something he would ever pursue. The subject matter hits close to Allen's personal life, and it's interested that Allen elected to arguably make his character "wiser" and more prudent than he ended up being himself.
Rating: 3/5 stars

Comments
Post a Comment