This one came out in December 1986, and I remember watching it in the theaters. I would have been about 13, and I had no idea that it was a musical. Needless to say, I hated it, and although I'm okay with watching musicals now, I haven't watched it since.
What's it like watching it now, 40 years later? Well, I love it. Specifically, I enjoy Steve Martin as Orin, the evil dentist. Martin is a weird Elvis/Jerk hybrid on giggle juice. And the best scene is when he's working with Bill Murray, who plays a bizarre dental patient (Arthur) who gets off on the pain.
Orin doesn't know exactly how to handle Arthur, as the dentist lives to dish out the pain, but not to patients who like it.
As far as I know, this is the only film to feature Murray and Martin on screen together. I read that Murray did film scenes for The Jerk, but those scenes were cut.
It might seem weird, but I have sensitive ears when watching Little Shop of Horrors. That is, for whatever reason, the uses of "goddamn" really bother me in this one. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's simply related to the me being 13 when I originally watched it, and that language would have really offended me then. The movie is rated PG-13 for some reason, and the only real reason would be for language. This film should be, by any accounts, a PG or even a G-rated film...
Anyway, the special effects used to create Audrey II are very well done. These days, you just know they'd use CGI or something instead of making a working model. And it just wouldn't be the same.
The ending almost leaves it open for a sequel, although I have no idea where they'd go with this story... I think it's funny that Audrey boasts that it's a better monster than The Thing or Stephen King's "It." I also enjoyed some of the references I wouldn't have registered in the song lyrics at age 13 -- such as the mention of Hedy Lemarr.
Oh, and if you're interested, be sure to check out the alternative ending. The ending with the film is the "Happy Ending," and it makes sense to end with the focus on Seymour (Rick Moranis) and Audrey (Ellen Greene). The alternative ending, however, just goes completely over-the-top and we get to see what happens when the plants go on full rampage mode.
Rating: 4/5 stars

Comments
Post a Comment