Skip to main content

Purple Rose of Cairo (1985)


Woody Allen would later do Midnight in Paris (2011), another fantasy film where Gil (Owen Wilson), in a way never explained, transports back to the Hemingway period of Paris that he finds most ideal. 

In The Purple Rose of Cairo, we have a couple of "transports" happening. First, Tom Baxter (Jeff Daniels) leaves his film to join "the real world." Later, Cecilia (Mia Farrow) will join Tom in the film world. This is a little bit different from Midnight in Paris, because these transports are actually happening, whereas in Midnight, I guess it's at least arguable that the fantasy is only happening inside Gil's mind. 

I like the exploration of concept here. Tom is a film character. He follows a script and "does" only what his character is supposed to do. The way it's laid out, every time the film plays, the characters come to life, but they cannot ever change or adapt. They do the same thing in the same way every time. As I was watching, I thought about this explanation: These film characters are sort of more like characters in a play more than a film, at least in the way they conceptualize who they are and what they do. They "know" that they are in a film, and before Tom jumps into the real world, it never occurs to any of them to do what he did.

He does it because he sees Cecilia in the audience, and he noticed that she had seen the film five times. Why was she so interested in the lives of these characters? Because they represent everything she doesn't have in her own life -- adventure, wealth, romance. If the characters in the film are doomed to live the same actions screening after screening, so is she. She's a waitress during the recession, and her husband is a jobless womanizer. She's certainly unfulfilled with her life, and movies are her escape. (It's also funny and somewhat ironic that she goes to the movies to watch the same film every day, because it's the only movie playing that week at the local theater.)

When Tom leaves the film and enters the real world, "Hollywood" panics. The actor who plays Tom shows up in town, along with other Hollywood production people. They want to find out what's happened, how it happened, and how they can get Tom back in the film. Meanwhile, Toms in other cities have, for reasons never explained, started leaving the film for the real world, too. I'm, not sure this detail is necessary or helps our understanding of the movie's theme. The problem with multiple missing Toms is: 1) We know why the first Tom left -- for Cecilia. And 2) the actor and the production team try to corral the first Tom, but they don't go to the other cities to do the same thing everywhere else. 

Ultimately, Cecilia loves both Tom and the actor who plays him. When forced to "choose" between them, she decides that the only thing that makes sense is to pick the human being, not the character. She does this even though she's fully aware that human beings -- her husband being the prime example -- will let you down, and this actor does just that. Nevertheless, she apparently has the maturity to recognize that movies aren't real. They are just a form of entertainment, and even after the actor playing Tom let's her down, she's back at the movies to see the new feature, Top Hat (1935). She will never have the Astaire/Rogers relationship in her own real life, but she can live vicariously through the romance their characters embody. We watch her watching them, and the camera locks in on her face. She's completely enraptured. We don't see her blink once. Astaire is singing and dancing to/for her. 

Although I don't connect to this film as much as I connect with Midnight in Paris, I do admire the film's exploration or themes and its creativity. 

Rating: 3.5/5 stars

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Digging for the Truth" Experiment #4 -- The Federalist Radio Hour

I first heard of Sean Davis last week. He created an online magazine called The Federalist in 2011, and he currently has about 500,000 followers on X.  It was about last week that he posted something amazing. He suggested if the Supreme Court doesn't rule the way they should, not only should Trump just ignore the ruling, if they keep obstructing the administration, he should just dissolve the Court altogether.  And I thought, wow. This guy is saying outrageous stuff like that, and there's an audience for it.  So, I decided I'd listen to an episode of The Federalist podcast: April 17, 2025 -- Deportation, Due Process, and Deference to the American People (40 minutes) https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/deportation-due-process-and-deference-to-the/id983782306?i=1000703904873 In the 40-minute conversation, the host and guest discussed why due process wasn't required for illegal immigrants.  The case of Kilmar Armando Abrego Garcia was mentioned for a brief second, but...

In Utero

  In 1994, I wore my In Utero shirt to college. I’d walk down the hall, and people would look at the shirt. I still remember a professor looking at it, not apparently hip to the scene. She asked, “Bret, is there something you’re trying to tell us?” I had no idea what I was trying to say. Kurt Cobain had just shot his head off with a shotgun. Before that life-changing event, I hadn’t been the biggest fan of Nirvana, but I did recognize the immediate impact “Smells Like Teen Spirit” had on music, or at least on MTV. Nirvana had seemingly killed and buried Hair Metal, and they had done it single-handedly. What exactly was this “Alternative” sound? It was weird, because soon it felt like everything was “alternative,” and that didn’t make any sense. Once everything is the same, how can it be anything but standard, normal? Nirvana was okay, but at least at the time I was wearing the merch, I was much more into Offspring and Green Day and Tool. And that’s about as far as I went into...

I Must Betray You -- Ruta Sepetys

I appreciate the pacing. The author's epilogue includes her mission statement -- historical fiction as a way to keep history alive. Romanis is an obscure place, but she hopes people reading the book will take an interest in its history.  She also makes the point that there are no clean endings. So, the evil dictator and his wife were killed, but the problems they created didn't magically go away, the country still had to find its way and move forward, and it was a process.