Skip to main content

Mildred Pierce (1945)


As a "who done it," I'm not sure it comes as much of a surprise who done it, or even why. That said, I thought the movie told an unusual story in an unusual way. 

The beginning is the end, really. The film opens with a man getting shot. Soon enough we will learn that the man is Monte Beragon (Zachary Scott). He's the person Mildred Pierce (Joan Crawford) buys the property from for what will become her first restaurant. 

That's all getting ahead of the story, though. Mildred ends up at the police station because when he's shot, she's married to Monte. She sits in the station telling the detective her life story. That is the movie. 

Mildred's whole deal is that she will do anything for her children. Unfortunately, her oldest daughter, Veda (Ann Blyth), turns out to be an amoral spoiled brat. Are we to blame Mildred for how she turned out? Veda's dad, Bert (Bruce Bennett) more or less implies that Mildred is to blame. His view is that Mildred doesn't set limits and realistic expectations, maybe doesn't even stand up for herself. He would say that she's a doormat for Veda. 

Veda does seem to be a rather unlikeable teenager, and yes, she is out-of-control, going so far as to elope with a boy, just so she came claim to be pregnant and extort $10,000 for his wealthy family. 

Whatever Veda does, Mildred tries to protect her. Finally, though, she's had enough and kicks her out. Scandously, Veda starts working as a nightclub singer. The way the movie portrays it, Veda might as well be a stripper. She smokes and drinks, and while most of what she does seems fairly tame, all the implications are that she is an amoral girl who will do whatever she wants, no matter who she ends up hurting. Including her own mother. 

The police working the murder are interesting. They have the murder weapon, but do they ever bother to dust it for prints? At one point, the detective handles the weapon with his bare hands. Talk about contaminating the evidence. 

Mildred ends up bringing Wally (Jack Carson) back to the scene of the crime, and somehow he's locked in and has to bust his way out. Police driving by see him busting out of the house. It's pretty weird. They start shooting at him, completely missing, arrest him after finding the dead body inside, but don't bother to handcuff him. They're just super chill about handling a murder suspect, especially after just shooting at him. 

Wally is one of the men in Mildred's life. He's loved her forever, but here is Mildred bringing him back to the crime scene and locking him in for the police to find him. I point this out because Veda is absolutely shown as having no redeeming qualities, but if Mildred is trying to set up Wally, that's a pretty shitty thing to do. Bert fooling around on Mildred is pretty shitty, too, so maybe Mildred and Bert aren't such great people either? But does that fully "explain" how Veda turns out?

The movie makes you think through the characters -- their flaws, what makes them good, what makes them bad, what makes them tick. And overall, I like the way the plot is constructed. Good supporting cast, too. Even the minor characters like the servant Lottie (Butterfly McQueen) and Mildred's friend Ida (Eve Arden) add something extra.

Rating -- 4.5/5 stars

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Digging for the Truth" Experiment #4 -- The Federalist Radio Hour

I first heard of Sean Davis last week. He created an online magazine called The Federalist in 2011, and he currently has about 500,000 followers on X.  It was about last week that he posted something amazing. He suggested if the Supreme Court doesn't rule the way they should, not only should Trump just ignore the ruling, if they keep obstructing the administration, he should just dissolve the Court altogether.  And I thought, wow. This guy is saying outrageous stuff like that, and there's an audience for it.  So, I decided I'd listen to an episode of The Federalist podcast: April 17, 2025 -- Deportation, Due Process, and Deference to the American People (40 minutes) https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/deportation-due-process-and-deference-to-the/id983782306?i=1000703904873 In the 40-minute conversation, the host and guest discussed why due process wasn't required for illegal immigrants.  The case of Kilmar Armando Abrego Garcia was mentioned for a brief second, but...

In Utero

  In 1994, I wore my In Utero shirt to college. I’d walk down the hall, and people would look at the shirt. I still remember a professor looking at it, not apparently hip to the scene. She asked, “Bret, is there something you’re trying to tell us?” I had no idea what I was trying to say. Kurt Cobain had just shot his head off with a shotgun. Before that life-changing event, I hadn’t been the biggest fan of Nirvana, but I did recognize the immediate impact “Smells Like Teen Spirit” had on music, or at least on MTV. Nirvana had seemingly killed and buried Hair Metal, and they had done it single-handedly. What exactly was this “Alternative” sound? It was weird, because soon it felt like everything was “alternative,” and that didn’t make any sense. Once everything is the same, how can it be anything but standard, normal? Nirvana was okay, but at least at the time I was wearing the merch, I was much more into Offspring and Green Day and Tool. And that’s about as far as I went into...

I Must Betray You -- Ruta Sepetys

I appreciate the pacing. The author's epilogue includes her mission statement -- historical fiction as a way to keep history alive. Romanis is an obscure place, but she hopes people reading the book will take an interest in its history.  She also makes the point that there are no clean endings. So, the evil dictator and his wife were killed, but the problems they created didn't magically go away, the country still had to find its way and move forward, and it was a process.