Skip to main content

The Odyssey (2026)


This movie had people crying in the theater at one point. I heard multiple people trying to control their sobs. 

*

When I was looking to buy tickets last weekend, I knew I wanted to see this film in IMAX, but the closest IMAX theaters were already almost fully booked. So, I thought, surely there will be less demand midweek. But it turns out that even the Tuesday 10 p.m. screening, the one I went to, was packed.

Who are all these people? I wondered. And why are they so interested in The Odyssey? I still remember being a Graduate Student at the University of Mississippi 25 years ago. One of my jobs then was to assist a Professor with his World Literature class. This is when I first really studied The Odyssey, and while I loved it, I don't remember the undergrads in the class being overly thrilled about it. The story was there on the page, but it doesn't as easily "come to life" as Nolan's vision of it does. 

And so, my thoughts about the audience I was watching the film with were: They're not here for Homer. They're here for Christopher Nolan. Which is fine, of course, but I have also read that the sales of The Odyssey have spiked thanks to this movie. I hope that's the case, and I hope that some people will read or re-read the book with a better appreciation for just how amazing the text can be. It's a much different experience than seeing the film, but it can be equally as rewarding. 

In terms of the film, Nolan takes the story and makes it highly accessible to a modern movie audience. It takes the history and trials of Odysseus, and it humanizes them in a way that makes sense to a modern understanding. Nolan, too, I would add, knows exactly the right way to show the story, and the right way to tell it. You feel completely immersed in Odysseus's experience from beginning to end. 

The casting for each part is carefully selected. Not just for Odysseus, Penelope, but for every single role. People are always going to criticize something, and so I saw people criticize Elliot Page being cast in a part. I also saw people criticize the casting for Helen. But frankly, I just have to shake my head at such criticisms. 

What I worried about was not the casting selections, but rather, how the film would incorporate CGI and the use of special effects, because that could have easily taken me out of this film if handled heavy-handedly. Fortunately, Nolan knows what he is doing. Every effect is seamless. I could look endlessly at the ship on the ocean and never "tell" if it wasn't real, or it was enhanced in some way. Likewise, when Odysseus and his men are in the Cyclops cave, or when they fight "giants," the sequences looks completely real.

And yes, the IMAX experience is the way to go. Not only do the visuals demand it, but the sound system probably enhances the experience 10x. I'm sure I will watch this movie at home, but my surround sound and screen size won't be able to replicate the experience. 

By the end of the movie, we had been taken on a three-hour roller coaster ride. It was after 1 a.m. in the morning, but I think everyone in the movie theater would have been willing to sit there for another two or three hours. When the screen went to black and the words The Odyssey appeared, the audience clapped. It's a weird experience to hear an audience clap for a movie, and it might be the first time I've experienced that since watching Schindler's List in a packed theater near the University of Illinois campus back in 1993.

This has to be the movie of the year. I cannot imagine a movie that will come close to matching its power. And it's such a different vision than, say, previous epics like Troy or Alexander the Great (both of which I want to re-watch just to make sure I'm not overstating the case here... but at least for the moment, I'd have to say that The Odyssey blows both of those out of the water). 

Christopher Nolan has taken his place as the "Steven Spielberg of the 21st century." I mean that as a compliment. In fact, while Spielberg has made a clinker or two in his career, I'm not sure Nolan has. His film career has been impressive from the start, and I'm not sure how he tops this one. Nolan's Odyssey made me feel like even Guillermo del Toro would watch it and be envious at just how well made it is. How can anyone top this film?

Rating 5/5 stars


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Digging for the Truth" Experiment #4 -- The Federalist Radio Hour

I first heard of Sean Davis last week. He created an online magazine called The Federalist in 2011, and he currently has about 500,000 followers on X.  It was about last week that he posted something amazing. He suggested if the Supreme Court doesn't rule the way they should, not only should Trump just ignore the ruling, if they keep obstructing the administration, he should just dissolve the Court altogether.  And I thought, wow. This guy is saying outrageous stuff like that, and there's an audience for it.  So, I decided I'd listen to an episode of The Federalist podcast: April 17, 2025 -- Deportation, Due Process, and Deference to the American People (40 minutes) https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/deportation-due-process-and-deference-to-the/id983782306?i=1000703904873 In the 40-minute conversation, the host and guest discussed why due process wasn't required for illegal immigrants.  The case of Kilmar Armando Abrego Garcia was mentioned for a brief second, but...

In Utero

  In 1994, I wore my In Utero shirt to college. I’d walk down the hall, and people would look at the shirt. I still remember a professor looking at it, not apparently hip to the scene. She asked, “Bret, is there something you’re trying to tell us?” I had no idea what I was trying to say. Kurt Cobain had just shot his head off with a shotgun. Before that life-changing event, I hadn’t been the biggest fan of Nirvana, but I did recognize the immediate impact “Smells Like Teen Spirit” had on music, or at least on MTV. Nirvana had seemingly killed and buried Hair Metal, and they had done it single-handedly. What exactly was this “Alternative” sound? It was weird, because soon it felt like everything was “alternative,” and that didn’t make any sense. Once everything is the same, how can it be anything but standard, normal? Nirvana was okay, but at least at the time I was wearing the merch, I was much more into Offspring and Green Day and Tool. And that’s about as far as I went into...

I Must Betray You -- Ruta Sepetys

I appreciate the pacing. The author's epilogue includes her mission statement -- historical fiction as a way to keep history alive. Romanis is an obscure place, but she hopes people reading the book will take an interest in its history.  She also makes the point that there are no clean endings. So, the evil dictator and his wife were killed, but the problems they created didn't magically go away, the country still had to find its way and move forward, and it was a process.