Skip to main content

Higher Learning (1995)


School Daze (1988) and Higher Learning (1995). Both are about life on an American college campus. Daze uses the HBCU setting, and Learning uses a traditional "state school" sort of campus. 

The link between the two films is Laurence Fishburne. In Daze, he plays a student activist named Dap. This character wants the university to devest from South Africa. In Learning, he plays Professor Phipps, a seemingly humorless Political Science teacher who is eager to teach his students harsh life lessons. 

Fishburne plays Phipps with an accent, but we never learn anything about this character. Where's he from? Where did he go to school? Why is he always on campus during crucial moments? The guy doesn't seem to have any sort of life or existence off campus. And although the two films are only seven years apart, Professor Phipps doesn't come across as especially young. (Fishburne would have be 34 during filming, which would be a little on the young side for a full professor. And yet, by his somewhat cavalier actions in the classroom, you'd certainly be right to think that he has full tenure.)

Anyway, all races are shown or mentioned in the film, but in the end, the white/black dynamic is really what Singleton homes in on. We have actual Nazi skinheads, and we see the way the campus security treats white students and black students. Even after a skinhead snipper kills Malik's (Omar Epps) girlfriend, when security comes upon Malik beating up the shooter, they pull Malik off of him and start beating Malik down, allowing the shooter to wander off. Security does quickly go after the shooter, but they aren't trying to beat or shoot him. They're trying to rationalize and reason with him. I get the social commentary here, but I have to say that much of it comes off a little heavy handed. 

Why go to the extreme of using Nazi skinheads? Yes, they exist, but I would prefer regular stupid white people acting in regular stupid white people ways. Just show that. That's enough to make a point. Doing anything more somewhat defeats the point. Although, I have to admit, the thought did enter my head: Isn't that cute? In the 1990s, you could easily identify the racists by their bald heads, their Hitler memorabilia, and so forth. Back then, it wasn't cool or even socially acceptable to be racist. If you were racist like that, you kept to yourself and your small group of mentally disturbed white men. 

These days... well... let's keep the focus on the movie. 

Fudge (Ice Cube) is an interesting character. He's a sixth-year senior, but he doesn't let people rib him about it. He's there to learn, and he learns on his own time. If he needs more time to learn, he's willing to take it. His apartment is full of books that he's read, and he's at first encouraged to hear that Malik wants to read Frederick Douglass but then discouraged to hear that Malik only wants to read him for an assignment. Real learning, Fudge tells Malik, is something you do for yourself. Professor Phipps teaches Malik a similar lesson. If life is a game -- and we do see Fudge and Malik playing Monopoly, which seems kind of odd in the scene, but makes perfect sense metaphorically -- you may be the pawn, but pawns can use knowledge to transform themselves into the most powerful piece on the board. 

Malik is willing to work for it, and maybe that's the point. If Fudge and Phipps are mentors, they are teaching him more than he's learning in any classroom. You are in the game, they seem to tell him. You can't opt out. All you can do is position yourself. "Without struggle, there is no progress," Phillps tells Malik. "Frederick Douglass," Malik responds. Phillip looks at him with something approaching approval. Maybe Malik only read one book that academic year, but he fought to stay in college when it looked like he would be kicked out for financial aid reasons. 

The ending shows him still running. But now he's running for himself. He has a lot left to unlearn, which is the word typed on the screen, first over the American flag, and then over a black screen. Knowing what to unlearn: that's real higher learning. 

In a previous review, I noted that I prefer Spike Lee both as a storyteller and as a director, but in this head-to-head battle, I give the nod to Higher Learning over School Daze.  

Rating: 3/5 stars

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Digging for the Truth" Experiment #4 -- The Federalist Radio Hour

I first heard of Sean Davis last week. He created an online magazine called The Federalist in 2011, and he currently has about 500,000 followers on X.  It was about last week that he posted something amazing. He suggested if the Supreme Court doesn't rule the way they should, not only should Trump just ignore the ruling, if they keep obstructing the administration, he should just dissolve the Court altogether.  And I thought, wow. This guy is saying outrageous stuff like that, and there's an audience for it.  So, I decided I'd listen to an episode of The Federalist podcast: April 17, 2025 -- Deportation, Due Process, and Deference to the American People (40 minutes) https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/deportation-due-process-and-deference-to-the/id983782306?i=1000703904873 In the 40-minute conversation, the host and guest discussed why due process wasn't required for illegal immigrants.  The case of Kilmar Armando Abrego Garcia was mentioned for a brief second, but...

In Utero

  In 1994, I wore my In Utero shirt to college. I’d walk down the hall, and people would look at the shirt. I still remember a professor looking at it, not apparently hip to the scene. She asked, “Bret, is there something you’re trying to tell us?” I had no idea what I was trying to say. Kurt Cobain had just shot his head off with a shotgun. Before that life-changing event, I hadn’t been the biggest fan of Nirvana, but I did recognize the immediate impact “Smells Like Teen Spirit” had on music, or at least on MTV. Nirvana had seemingly killed and buried Hair Metal, and they had done it single-handedly. What exactly was this “Alternative” sound? It was weird, because soon it felt like everything was “alternative,” and that didn’t make any sense. Once everything is the same, how can it be anything but standard, normal? Nirvana was okay, but at least at the time I was wearing the merch, I was much more into Offspring and Green Day and Tool. And that’s about as far as I went into...

I Must Betray You -- Ruta Sepetys

I appreciate the pacing. The author's epilogue includes her mission statement -- historical fiction as a way to keep history alive. Romanis is an obscure place, but she hopes people reading the book will take an interest in its history.  She also makes the point that there are no clean endings. So, the evil dictator and his wife were killed, but the problems they created didn't magically go away, the country still had to find its way and move forward, and it was a process.