Skip to main content

Poetic Justice (1993)


Tupac. I've heard of him, as I'm sure everyone has, but I've never listened to his stuff, and I've never watched any film he's starred in. Turns out, he was a pretty good actor. Janet Jackson is an okay actor, too, but I can understand why she hasn't done a lot of film work. 

It's neat to see Maya Angelou make an appearance as one of the Aunts at a random family reunion. And let's talk about this: The film somehow morphs into a road trip picture, with Lucky (and his partner) plus Justice (Jackson) and another woman driving from L.A. to Oakland. Keep in mind, they are in a post office truck -- a medium size one -- and I assume they are doing a mail delivery, which means they would be on the clock. Nevertheless, they end up stopping, as I mentioned, at a random family reunion, as well as some sort of African carnival in the middle of nowhere. They're seemingly somewhere in central or even west-central California before they end up taking the costal scenic highway. I mean, it feels like they could be on the road for days, and all that's really accomplished in these sequences is, I guess, Justice and Lucky start to bond. 

That's nice. Because the first time they met, Justice was working at a hair salon, and Lucky was making the rounds. He started hitting on her, but Justice had just recently been in the backseat of a car with her boyfriend when some thug murdered him right in front of her. She wasn't ready to start dating again, but she was, apparently ready to ask Lucky is he wanted to take a whiff of her who-ha, only to prank him by having a co-worker (in on the gag?) blow right in his face. And that joke, I'm sorry to say, was the best part of the movie. 

John Singleton does that, though, and by "that," I mean he will show you someone murdered in cold blood, and then you'll have to deal with how the survivor lives afterwards. Is it likely that everyone would be pushing Justice to "get back on the dating horse" immediately? Why wouldn't there be some understanding that she went through a horrific event? An event, I should add, that she mentions to Lucky, but only in the briefest of ways. Are we to assume that EVEREYONE from there has seen people murdered right in front of them, so it's not a bigger deal than going to McDonalds?

Oh, at the drive-in, I should mention that the film begins by showing us what was playing on the screen. It's a picture starring Billy Zane and another white woman. For a second, I felt like I was watching a Woody Allen film -- with the way the film-within-a-film began with Woody-Allen-style music and a shot of the cityscape. 

Anyway, if I'm jumping back to the beginning, it's because the ending didn't keep my attention. Once they do make it to Oakland, something bad happens. Lucky lashes out at Justice, and their bonding during the road trip proves meaningless. 

But the film so badly wants to be a romance, and so formulaically, it's great that he lashed out at her, because then they can kiss and make up at the end. It's a romance, so it's not a spoiler to say "and that's what happens." But why does it happen? Why does Justice smile and allow Lucky back into her life at the end? The world may never know. 

Finally, let me say that Justice is an aspiring poet. The poems, we're told in the credits, were supplied by Maya Angelou. I recognized "Phenomenal Woman,"  but I would be guessing about the rest. What's Justice's ambition? Does she want to be a poet? Who does she write her poetry for? Just her notebook? Does she ever write about Lucky? Lucky and Justice both admit they're still in the process of finding themselves. Do they see a piece in the other than makes them more whole? That makes it easier to see who they are?

I hate to make the automatic comparison, but when I watch John Singleton films, my mind immediately starts wandering, and I think about Spike Lee films. I'm only about 4 Singleton films in so far, but I have to say my initial reaction is that Lee is the better storyteller, and the better director. 

Rating: 2/5 stars

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Digging for the Truth" Experiment #4 -- The Federalist Radio Hour

I first heard of Sean Davis last week. He created an online magazine called The Federalist in 2011, and he currently has about 500,000 followers on X.  It was about last week that he posted something amazing. He suggested if the Supreme Court doesn't rule the way they should, not only should Trump just ignore the ruling, if they keep obstructing the administration, he should just dissolve the Court altogether.  And I thought, wow. This guy is saying outrageous stuff like that, and there's an audience for it.  So, I decided I'd listen to an episode of The Federalist podcast: April 17, 2025 -- Deportation, Due Process, and Deference to the American People (40 minutes) https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/deportation-due-process-and-deference-to-the/id983782306?i=1000703904873 In the 40-minute conversation, the host and guest discussed why due process wasn't required for illegal immigrants.  The case of Kilmar Armando Abrego Garcia was mentioned for a brief second, but...

In Utero

  In 1994, I wore my In Utero shirt to college. I’d walk down the hall, and people would look at the shirt. I still remember a professor looking at it, not apparently hip to the scene. She asked, “Bret, is there something you’re trying to tell us?” I had no idea what I was trying to say. Kurt Cobain had just shot his head off with a shotgun. Before that life-changing event, I hadn’t been the biggest fan of Nirvana, but I did recognize the immediate impact “Smells Like Teen Spirit” had on music, or at least on MTV. Nirvana had seemingly killed and buried Hair Metal, and they had done it single-handedly. What exactly was this “Alternative” sound? It was weird, because soon it felt like everything was “alternative,” and that didn’t make any sense. Once everything is the same, how can it be anything but standard, normal? Nirvana was okay, but at least at the time I was wearing the merch, I was much more into Offspring and Green Day and Tool. And that’s about as far as I went into...

I Must Betray You -- Ruta Sepetys

I appreciate the pacing. The author's epilogue includes her mission statement -- historical fiction as a way to keep history alive. Romanis is an obscure place, but she hopes people reading the book will take an interest in its history.  She also makes the point that there are no clean endings. So, the evil dictator and his wife were killed, but the problems they created didn't magically go away, the country still had to find its way and move forward, and it was a process.