Yep. This movie does briefly reference the first AVP movie, but if you're looking to make sense of how this one continues from the last one, good luck.
And yep. This is supposed to be the second movie in a trilogy, and if you watch the very last scene, we're introduced to a new character at the very last second -- which makes absolutely no sense if there's not going to be another movie to explain who she is...
Unfortunately, this movie killed any future plans for the next movie. Just blew it right up.
The main problems with this movie, really, is how it was shot. It's consistently too dark, and almost all of the shots are extreme close-ups. I'm guessing the budget was on the lower end, and it was simply easier and cheaper to shoot dark and too close.
Beyond that, none of the human characters seem to know what's going on, except for the "Colonel." He knows, and just for the sake of adding some clarity to things, I think they really needed to develop his character and the character of that mysterious woman at the end of the film, especially it this is the last movie in the series.
If you've watched The Return of the Living Dead (1985) recently, you might notice that this movie steals the ending, basically just nuking the town. The difference: in this one, a few of our friends get out via helicopter and when they are surrounded by the military, they are, for some reason, not immediately killed or at least put into quarantine.
The first AVP was better than I expected, and lightyears better than this one; nevertheless, I wish they would have followed through and done the trilogy. For that matter, it would have been cool if they could have better connected the first two movies, maybe even somehow brought back Alexa (Sanaa Lathan). I don't know why she would have been in Colorado, but I don't know why any of this ended up happening in Colorado.
Rating: 1.5/5 stars

Comments
Post a Comment