Skip to main content

Inside Daisy Clover (1965)


Daisy Clover is a 15-year-old girl being played by a 27-year-old Natalie Wood. That's a bit of a stretch, and I have to admit that I never really got past that. She's just too old for the part, and I'm not sure that it's absolutely necessary that Daisy is 15. Why can't she just as easily be 25?

Does she need to be 15 so that she can be more vulnerable to the powerful forces trying to use her? She's a minor, so her estranged sister ends up being her adult guardian, signing off on all her official paperwork. That's a small detail, though, and I'm not sure it matters that much. Just let her be 25. 

Because she's supposed to be 15, though, it is a lot creepier, although the film doesn't make it as Lolita creepy as it could be. Wade Lewis (Robert Redford) is never given an age, but I suppose he's supposed to be in his 20s. Redford was 29. Anyway, Lewis and Clover end up briefly married. This is sort of where the whole film goes south for me. 

What is this film even supposed to be about? A girl records a song and randomly sends it in to Hollywood. Raymond Swan (Christopher Plummer) somehow hears the record and decides to make Daisy a star. Not just a singing star, but a full-blown movie star, too, I guess. That's all rather far-fetched, but that must be how he and his wife get their kicks. Maybe they did the same thing for Lewis, not sure. 

Lewis, as it turns out, must be the kind of guy that bonks anything. He's bonked Swan's wife, he bonks Daisy, and he even bonks dudes. It makes him into a real creepy creep, because how could he treat other people like that, especially Daisy, but anyone for that matter? 

Swan is also an absolutely creep. But at least he's more obvious about it. Daisy, for him, is just a toy. Someone that he can shape and mold and make money from. It's also amazing just how easy, apparently, it is to take a nobody from nowhere and turn her into a star. Granted, Daisy is a good-looking girl with natural talent, but how in the world did Swan know that simply by hearing her voice on one random record?

Still, I wonder what this movie wanted to be. It's not a comedy. It is somewhat creepy but holds back -- maybe just because it's 1965 and it could only imply things without spelling them out. 

Did Daisy have a dream to be famous? Did she find out that fame isn't all that she thought it would be? Is she happy just to go back to being the Daisy Clover she was before the movie started?

Rating: 2/5 stars

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Digging for the Truth" Experiment #4 -- The Federalist Radio Hour

I first heard of Sean Davis last week. He created an online magazine called The Federalist in 2011, and he currently has about 500,000 followers on X.  It was about last week that he posted something amazing. He suggested if the Supreme Court doesn't rule the way they should, not only should Trump just ignore the ruling, if they keep obstructing the administration, he should just dissolve the Court altogether.  And I thought, wow. This guy is saying outrageous stuff like that, and there's an audience for it.  So, I decided I'd listen to an episode of The Federalist podcast: April 17, 2025 -- Deportation, Due Process, and Deference to the American People (40 minutes) https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/deportation-due-process-and-deference-to-the/id983782306?i=1000703904873 In the 40-minute conversation, the host and guest discussed why due process wasn't required for illegal immigrants.  The case of Kilmar Armando Abrego Garcia was mentioned for a brief second, but...

In Utero

  In 1994, I wore my In Utero shirt to college. I’d walk down the hall, and people would look at the shirt. I still remember a professor looking at it, not apparently hip to the scene. She asked, “Bret, is there something you’re trying to tell us?” I had no idea what I was trying to say. Kurt Cobain had just shot his head off with a shotgun. Before that life-changing event, I hadn’t been the biggest fan of Nirvana, but I did recognize the immediate impact “Smells Like Teen Spirit” had on music, or at least on MTV. Nirvana had seemingly killed and buried Hair Metal, and they had done it single-handedly. What exactly was this “Alternative” sound? It was weird, because soon it felt like everything was “alternative,” and that didn’t make any sense. Once everything is the same, how can it be anything but standard, normal? Nirvana was okay, but at least at the time I was wearing the merch, I was much more into Offspring and Green Day and Tool. And that’s about as far as I went into...

I Must Betray You -- Ruta Sepetys

I appreciate the pacing. The author's epilogue includes her mission statement -- historical fiction as a way to keep history alive. Romanis is an obscure place, but she hopes people reading the book will take an interest in its history.  She also makes the point that there are no clean endings. So, the evil dictator and his wife were killed, but the problems they created didn't magically go away, the country still had to find its way and move forward, and it was a process.