Prequel, sequel, stand-alone?
I recently re-watched Prometheus (2012), but even so, I wasn't completely sure about the timeline for this one. I had to look it up, and then I learned that this one is supposed to be 10 years after Prometheus.
And yet, the colony ship didn't have a clue about the planet they decided to detour to on a lark? That seemed a little unbelievable. I get that ship in space don't get a daily newspaper, but I'm guessing they would have known about the last ship to visit, especially if no one from that ship made it off the planet.
In terms of the special effects in this one, I liked it. One of the aliens jumped scared the crap out of my wife, and the continuation of the synthetic humans storyline is cool.
Is it a little obvious about "David" at the end? Yeah, maybe, but he's a bad dude. It's neat that he had a need to create, and he didn't give a darn about humans. Why should he?
Do I feel a little "tricked" with the camera on "David" at the end? Sure, because there's no reason he would be "pretending" to the extent that he is when no one is watching him. And anyway, if you've watched enough films, you kind of know who won the battle of the robots... but maybe the weakest part of the film is not being honest with the audience, just so there can be that "surprise" at the end (that, again, really shouldn't be a surprise if you're paying attention).
Overall, well-made film, but still middle-of-the-road storytelling.
Rating 2.5/5 stars

Comments
Post a Comment