Skip to main content

Night of the Living Dead (1968)


These humans. Maybe they are the weird ones. Maybe they are the zombies -- a term that's never actually used in the film. Instead of "zombies," the undead are called "ghouls." They are also called "mass murderers." We will eventually see them eating the flesh of human beings. 

But the humans are not so noble, either. They bicker and argue. They complain. They stab each other in the back. And, they walk across the landscape, killing anything in their way without much thought.

What's maybe the most interesting aspect of the film is the casting of Duane Jones (Ben). I don't know how 1960s audiences reacted to him, but he's the lead of the film, and he's black. The only other lead black actor of the period that I can think of is Sidney Portier, and Jones is not Portier. Which is not to say he's a horrible actor -- he's just not a known quantity. In a film featuring mainly horrible actors, he's actually not too shabby. 

My guess is that George Romero used non-actors in this film. (I plan to research this before finishing the review). I'm also guessing there wasn't much of a written script. There wouldn't need to be, because the main thing is this: Humans holed up in house, trying to make it through the night without the zombies getting them.

The zombies. They all died of radiation poisoning? I feel like the cause is still somewhat underdeveloped. Why were some people affected by the radiation while most weren't? Was this, as the TV news reports suggest, a localized problem? And yet, it was a national problem, too -- maybe just radiation outbreaks in different regional areas, and apparently mainly in rural areas, not urban areas. A big enough problem to attract the attention of the President, but Washington D.C. itself seems to be operating normally...

But back to Ben: He's a black man who makes it through the night. He and the houseful of humans unsuccessfully attempt to make it to a safe location and fail, but in the end, it seems like Ben will be rescued. So what happens to him at the end, and is this a zombie movie, or is it a social commentary on American society in the 1960s, using zombies as a way to discuss it?

If Ben were just another generic white actor, would the ending have the same impact? Would it transcend beyond the surface -- just a silly zombie movie -- to something more?

Professional actors? Apparently, the main cast are professionals, but the zombies and some of the minor parts used locals and non-professionals. The film itself was made on a shoe-string budget -- about $100,000. The zombies themselves: Sometimes completely naked (no shame). Don't like light or fire but sometimes have an understanding of how to use tools. What compels them to attack humans? Are they just attracted to humans like moths are to flames?

As a zombie movie, I find it weird and somewhat underwhelming. I'd much rather watch Shaun of the Dead. But for its "social commentary" aspect, I like it slightly better. I've been mentioning that Ben is black, but I think it's important and significant that race is never once mentioned in the film. Race adds an unspoken dynamic that any 1960s American viewer probably would have noticed, but Romero was correct not to draw attention to it. He didn't have to. 

Rating: 3/5 stars

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Digging for the Truth" Experiment #4 -- The Federalist Radio Hour

I first heard of Sean Davis last week. He created an online magazine called The Federalist in 2011, and he currently has about 500,000 followers on X.  It was about last week that he posted something amazing. He suggested if the Supreme Court doesn't rule the way they should, not only should Trump just ignore the ruling, if they keep obstructing the administration, he should just dissolve the Court altogether.  And I thought, wow. This guy is saying outrageous stuff like that, and there's an audience for it.  So, I decided I'd listen to an episode of The Federalist podcast: April 17, 2025 -- Deportation, Due Process, and Deference to the American People (40 minutes) https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/deportation-due-process-and-deference-to-the/id983782306?i=1000703904873 In the 40-minute conversation, the host and guest discussed why due process wasn't required for illegal immigrants.  The case of Kilmar Armando Abrego Garcia was mentioned for a brief second, but...

In Utero

  In 1994, I wore my In Utero shirt to college. I’d walk down the hall, and people would look at the shirt. I still remember a professor looking at it, not apparently hip to the scene. She asked, “Bret, is there something you’re trying to tell us?” I had no idea what I was trying to say. Kurt Cobain had just shot his head off with a shotgun. Before that life-changing event, I hadn’t been the biggest fan of Nirvana, but I did recognize the immediate impact “Smells Like Teen Spirit” had on music, or at least on MTV. Nirvana had seemingly killed and buried Hair Metal, and they had done it single-handedly. What exactly was this “Alternative” sound? It was weird, because soon it felt like everything was “alternative,” and that didn’t make any sense. Once everything is the same, how can it be anything but standard, normal? Nirvana was okay, but at least at the time I was wearing the merch, I was much more into Offspring and Green Day and Tool. And that’s about as far as I went into...

I Must Betray You -- Ruta Sepetys

I appreciate the pacing. The author's epilogue includes her mission statement -- historical fiction as a way to keep history alive. Romanis is an obscure place, but she hopes people reading the book will take an interest in its history.  She also makes the point that there are no clean endings. So, the evil dictator and his wife were killed, but the problems they created didn't magically go away, the country still had to find its way and move forward, and it was a process.