Okay. I watched this movie out of morbid curiosity, but I have to admit that it won me over. Generally, I don't like remakes, but if a remake can actually fix some things that the original got wrong, then I can see the value in doing it. And this remake does fix a few of the issues I had with the original.
That said, I'm not a huge fan of Jaden Smith. It's not that I think he's a horrible actor; I just don't enjoy watching him in the lead role. He's the 12-year-old Karate Kid, Dre. And, of course, they are using Kung Fu in this movie, so it's silly that this movie isn't called The Kung Fu Kid. Regardless, he's four years younger than Daniel (Ralph Machhio) was supposed to be in the original. I think a slightly older Karate Kid works better.
I do like Jackie Chan in the role of the Pat Morita role. As. Mr. Han, Chan is able to do a lot more than Morita could. Morita had a stunt double to do the karate bits. Obviously, Chan doesn't need a stunt double. We actually get to see Mr. Han and Dre involved in "real training," whereas Daniel never actually does any real karate training. I think we know that Daniel teaches Mr. Miyagi something, but in this movie, Mr. Han tells Dre specifically that he learned something from their training. I like that the trainer "thanks" the student.
Another issue never resolved in the original: What happens to the Cobra Kai students after the tournament is over? We see the respect given to Daniel at the end, but there's no clarity about what happens when they go back to continue their training. In this movie, we see each member of the "bad guy team" bow and give their respect to Mr. Han. I think that moment is important and maybe one of the best improvements made in the remake.
I also questioned the ending freeze frame in the original. The movie has a few choices on which character or characters is elects to freeze on in the end shot. The original focused on one person, and I wondered if this was the right choice. The remake focuses on two individuals, and it feels a lot more natural to me.
Like the original, I felt like the movie starts off slowly. I don't really enjoy the first 30 minutes or so, but it picks up after that. It is also able to keep the mom character somewhat in the picture. At least she doesn't just disappear. And the film makes pretty good use of the China setting. Whether or not it's believable that a Detroit single mom and her son would move to China, once they get to China, you don't worry about that. You also don't worry about whether Mr. Han would actually bother to train Dre on the Great Wall. It looks pretty.
So, yeah. The original is still the iconic film, but this film is probably just as good, and maybe even better in some ways.
Rating: 4/5 stars

Comments
Post a Comment