Maybe the oddest relationship to think about in this movie is the friendship between Peter (Tobey Maguire) and Harry Osburn (James Franco). What exactly makes them friends?
I guess I'm wondering this because they come from two different social classes, and they haven't exactly known each other for that long. Peter isn't the most popular kid in school, and yet here he is hanging around a rich kid who probably would have his pick of friends -- both because of his background, but also because of his looks.
Peter and Harry end up being roommates, which is convenient for the movie's plot, but how much does an apartment in New York run, and is Peter actually paying half the rent?
In terms of "friend values," why does Harry think it's okay to date Mary Jane (Kirsten Dunst)? He must know it's not okay, as he keeps dating Mary Jane a secret from Peter. Only when he knows Peter knows does he offer the cop out: "Well, you weren't making a move." Peter acknowledges that's true, but a real friend would probably still "ask permission" rather than "offer an excuse" after-the-fact.
Same problem with Mary Jane and Harry: Why would Harry date her? He probably knows a dozen of other girls from his same economic circle, yet he's dating a girl from a lower-middle class background, who has to hide the fact from him that she works as a waitress to make ends meet? I don't have any problem with people dating or being friend with people not in their same economic class; I just don't think it's very likely.
Lots of secrets in this movie. Lots of stuff never mentioned. It's a pretty big deal, I think, that Peter is raised by his aunt and uncle. Never once do we hear anything about his parents. We get the sense that he was raised by his aunt and uncle from an early age, but only when Uncle Ben tries to talk with Peter in front of the library does Peter remind Uncle Ben is not his father. If this is the man that raised him from, what, birth almost, would Peter actually make that comment? If Peter remembers his father at all, I expect him to say something about him during that conversation.
I was also curious: Could you live next door to a girl that you are infatuated with for 12 years and never develop sort of a relationship -- not even an acquaintanceship? That seems highly unlikely, especially if you're in the same grade in school, ride the same school bus, and so on.
I guess, then. my main issue with this movie is that something about the relationships seem off. The character of Harry does interest me, however, because he seems to have the potential to become a bad guy. He wants revenge on Spider-Man. His dad (Willem Dafoe) may have uncontrollable ambition, but he's never really a "bad guy" until the experiment turns him into Green Goblin. But perhaps he was more susceptible to becoming a bad guy. Maybe Harry, too, is susceptible to becoming "bad guy" and his actions with Peter (specifically hiding his relationship with Mary Jane) hint at that? (Of course, Peter "hides" his full identity from both Harry and Mary Jane... so like I say, a lot of secrets in this movie.)
Rating: 3.5/5 stars

Comments
Post a Comment