A busy movie. We have three villains this time, as well as Peter (Tobey Maguire) dabbling with the Venom himself.
Peter as Venom. What can I say? They make him look emo. He's basically the Spider-Man version of Chris Gaines. Is there any way to make Tobey Maguire look cool? Doubtful. The weird thing is, most of New York realizes he's a douche when he looks emo, but for some reason when he goes to the club with Gwen (Bryce Dallas Howard), the people there seem to like him.
What kills this franchise for me? Well, no, I don't like the casting. Maguire is 30 years old in this film. They are still painting him to be dweeby. Even in college, the guy behind him is hitting him with spit wads. And Kirsten Dunst. Not a fan of her as Mary Jane, but I also don't like this Mary Jane. It's tough to like a movie when you find the main characters -- and/or the actors portraying them -- to be annoying.
The whole relationship between Peter and Mary Jane is beyond annoying. Have they ever actually dated? And yet, Peter is ready to propose? I mean, I could even let that pass, as they've been through enough shit together. But there should be a limit to how many times one can tell the other one "no" or do something that requires 20 minutes of movie time to play out and resolve.
To be honest, the ending itself is meh. It almost ends with a funeral, but the movie doesn't want to focus on the sacrifice made by the death of that character. So, we see Mary Jane and Peter together again. Is it meant to be for good this time? Peter has Aunt May's wedding ring, but when the credits roll, he still hasn't proposed.
Rating: 3/5 stars

Comments
Post a Comment