The premise of these movies is always that people are fated to die, and yet, for some unexplained reason, someone always has the vision that they are about to die.
These deaths are not just about the person with the premonition. They are about a group of people -- generally young people. First it was the airplane crash, then it was the multiple-car pile up, and for this movie, it's the roller coaster.All of these events are out of the ordinary, as are the ways that Death "recovers" the lives of the people fated to die. I guess that's all necessary for the purposes of movie magic, but I'd prefer deaths that are a little bit more boring and mundane. When the death scenes get too crazy, I lose all sense of verisimilitude. I want to watch a movie that feels like real life, or in this case, real death. Even something like this: Why not have the character survive death and then have the character go to the doctor and find out that they have incurable cancer? Now that would be something. In these films, characters might go to a dentist or a doctor, but they wouldn't be told they had cancer... they'd just have some bizarre office accident kill them.
Bludworth watch: In the third movie, Tony Todd is back, but not as Bludworth. Instead, he plays the voice of the Devil -- the mascot/sign for the rollercoaster at the Amusement Park. Oddly enough, a white guy is listed as Bludworth in the credits, but the part he plays is so minor, and no one ever names him, that I'm not sure who that character was.
So who is Tony Todd? He's the only actor to be in all three films, but why? His presence could easily be removed and no one would miss him. I'm not even sure who Tony Todd is. Is he a real actor? Has he been in other films?
Oh wow. Tony Todd has had an incredibly prolific career. Check out his IMDb credits. He was the Candyman in Candyman (1992), but he's been in over 200 other films and TV shows! Now, has he had any meaningful or major or memorable roles? I don't know, but I'm sure he must be in Final Destination because of his Candyman role?
Overall, I felt like the 3rd installment was weaker than the first two. Wendy's premonitions are supplemented by her 3-megapixel school digital camera photos. This film makes reference to the original film but ignores the second film and its two survivors completely. Then, this film ends with Wendy having a second premonition, but this time, there's apparently nothing she can do about it We assume she and Kevin (Ryan Merriman) die.
The characters in every movie always figure out the Death "pattern," but they never spend any time figuring out why the premonitions happen, or why the one individual gets them. Three movies in, you'd hope that the "lore" would be a bit more developed by now, but nope. The writers seem content just to repeat the formula. Maybe the add a new wrinkle, but this film is formula.
Oh, and what happened to the FBI? They were there for the plane crash, but if this premonition stuff and mass killing events kept happening, wouldn't the FBI still be involved?

Comments
Post a Comment