Skip to main content

Final Destination 5 (2011)


Based on the ending death montage, I'm guessing that the writers really did think this one was the final movie in the series. And compared to the previous film, this movie did seem to have something going for it. The formula is the same as always: A major accident, with a few younger people surviving, only to realize that you cannot outlive death. 

Each time, one person has the vision, and then they start to figure out there's a "pattern," and deaths start to occur in the order in which they "should have occurred." This time, we also get the wrinkle that if it's your turn to die, someone else can "take your place" which returns death's balance. The problem is: you only end up with as much time as that other person was slated to live. If you kill the wrong person and they had an extra day to live, then that's all you get. 

Maybe I was most happy to see Bludworth (Tony Todd) return to the series, after being absent in the 4th film, He actually gets to appear in a few scenes this time, and it's clear now that he's the coroner. Unfortunately, he doesn't have much to contribute this time, except laying out the "pattern design/the fate of death" idea. Pretty straightforward stuff, and for anyone who's already seen the first four films, completely unnecessary. Bludworth doesn't seem odd and spooky this time. He's not the Grim Reaper's assistant; he's nothing more than the "grim recapper." 

All that said, the movie's CGI looks a little better than the 4th movie. The writing and characters also feel a little more serious. At least, unlike the last film, they all have at least a little character development and personality, and they are all given character names. (What's funny about the actors in this movie: For the most part, this is the only movie they appear in -- like this is the final destination of their acting careers. 

As far as end twists go, this movie has not one but two. I liked the first one, but the second one ruined it somehow for me. In terms of endings, I'd rather they just leave things a bit ambiguous rather than going one step too far. 

I've also been thinking that none of the death scenes in this franchise can really be all that satisfying. For the most part, the deaths are quick and instantaneous. Only rarely does any character suffer, or does a death take more than a split second to complete. Don't get me wrong: I'm not wanting the deaths to go on and on. On the other hand, if you've invested in a character -- to whatever extent a movie like this allows you to invest in a character -- and then they're gone in a split second, literally just a split second of screen time before the movie moves on, that's not satisfying. 

If Bludworth knows more that he tells each group of survivors, and if the deaths started happening before the deaths occurring with Flight 180, I wish he would have had more to say on the subject. If he's a Coroner in his 50s, say, does he have 20 or 30 years of Final Destination experiences? Why don't we ever get to see more from his point of view? What don't we ever get his backstory?

Rating: 2/5 stars

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Digging for the Truth" Experiment #4 -- The Federalist Radio Hour

I first heard of Sean Davis last week. He created an online magazine called The Federalist in 2011, and he currently has about 500,000 followers on X.  It was about last week that he posted something amazing. He suggested if the Supreme Court doesn't rule the way they should, not only should Trump just ignore the ruling, if they keep obstructing the administration, he should just dissolve the Court altogether.  And I thought, wow. This guy is saying outrageous stuff like that, and there's an audience for it.  So, I decided I'd listen to an episode of The Federalist podcast: April 17, 2025 -- Deportation, Due Process, and Deference to the American People (40 minutes) https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/deportation-due-process-and-deference-to-the/id983782306?i=1000703904873 In the 40-minute conversation, the host and guest discussed why due process wasn't required for illegal immigrants.  The case of Kilmar Armando Abrego Garcia was mentioned for a brief second, but...

In Utero

  In 1994, I wore my In Utero shirt to college. I’d walk down the hall, and people would look at the shirt. I still remember a professor looking at it, not apparently hip to the scene. She asked, “Bret, is there something you’re trying to tell us?” I had no idea what I was trying to say. Kurt Cobain had just shot his head off with a shotgun. Before that life-changing event, I hadn’t been the biggest fan of Nirvana, but I did recognize the immediate impact “Smells Like Teen Spirit” had on music, or at least on MTV. Nirvana had seemingly killed and buried Hair Metal, and they had done it single-handedly. What exactly was this “Alternative” sound? It was weird, because soon it felt like everything was “alternative,” and that didn’t make any sense. Once everything is the same, how can it be anything but standard, normal? Nirvana was okay, but at least at the time I was wearing the merch, I was much more into Offspring and Green Day and Tool. And that’s about as far as I went into...

I Must Betray You -- Ruta Sepetys

I appreciate the pacing. The author's epilogue includes her mission statement -- historical fiction as a way to keep history alive. Romanis is an obscure place, but she hopes people reading the book will take an interest in its history.  She also makes the point that there are no clean endings. So, the evil dictator and his wife were killed, but the problems they created didn't magically go away, the country still had to find its way and move forward, and it was a process.