Skip to main content

Cast Away (2000)


If you've watched this movie, I bet you remember Wilson. You remember the time Chuck (Tom Hanks) spends stranded on the island. That's probably 2/3s of the film, and we see Chuck as he learns how to sustain himself, how he learns how to open coconuts and use the blade of an ice skate as a cutting tool and mirror. How he has to knock out his own infected tooth with a rock and the skate's blade. We also don't visually see but learn how he's able to spearfish and use math to plan his escape the tide that surrounds the island. 

But I'm convinced that without the frame of the movie -- the beginning 20 minutes, but especially the ending 20 minutes, this film wouldn't be nearly as good as it is. I've been watching a lot of rom coms lately, and this is not a rom com, although it does have elements of romance, for sure. 

Kelly (Helen Hunt) never gave up believing that Chuck was alive. That said, four years pass, and she has to live her life. That means she got married and had a daughter. When Chuck finally does return, they can't get back together. It's sad. The film teases the possibility, but they are both decent people. Even if, as Kelly admits, Chuck is the love of her life, they can't be together, and Chuck never presses the issue. Romance works that way sometimes. Loss is part of it. 

He tells his therapist that he was just glad Kelly was with him on the island. Initially, he did give up hope and had plans to kill himself, but once he realized his method of suicide wouldn't work, he committed to living. And as he says to his therapist, you have to keep breathing, because the sun will come up, and you never know what the tide will bring in. 

It's sort of funny that he opens all the Fed Ex packages that drift to the island except for the one that has angel wings on it. He ends up delivering that package, because as he tells the Moscow crew at the beginning of the film, what's inside may be of vital importance to the person receiving it. 

This package arrives four years late, but Chuck leaves it on the porch with a note, saying that the package saved his life. Rural Texas is a weird place for the tide to come in, but he stops at a crossroads, and a random woman stops to check on him. She's nice but maybe a little flirty. When she drives on, Chuck notices that the same angel wings on the box is also on the back of her truck. The film ends at that point, but you know his next move is to drive back to her ranch. He will see what the tide has brought in for him -- it turns out he had two women (guardian angels) with him on the island... 

What was in the box? I don't think it matters. What matters is how the box brought him to this new woman, and his possible new future. That's what matters. I do think it's funny that the director joked that it contained a water-proof satellite phone. Fed Ex apparently also ran an ad saying it contained that, as well as other useful survival gear for an individual stranded on an island. 

Good film, but it's probably the last 20 minutes than push it from good to great for me. 

Rating: 5/5 stars


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Digging for the Truth" Experiment #4 -- The Federalist Radio Hour

I first heard of Sean Davis last week. He created an online magazine called The Federalist in 2011, and he currently has about 500,000 followers on X.  It was about last week that he posted something amazing. He suggested if the Supreme Court doesn't rule the way they should, not only should Trump just ignore the ruling, if they keep obstructing the administration, he should just dissolve the Court altogether.  And I thought, wow. This guy is saying outrageous stuff like that, and there's an audience for it.  So, I decided I'd listen to an episode of The Federalist podcast: April 17, 2025 -- Deportation, Due Process, and Deference to the American People (40 minutes) https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/deportation-due-process-and-deference-to-the/id983782306?i=1000703904873 In the 40-minute conversation, the host and guest discussed why due process wasn't required for illegal immigrants.  The case of Kilmar Armando Abrego Garcia was mentioned for a brief second, but...

In Utero

  In 1994, I wore my In Utero shirt to college. I’d walk down the hall, and people would look at the shirt. I still remember a professor looking at it, not apparently hip to the scene. She asked, “Bret, is there something you’re trying to tell us?” I had no idea what I was trying to say. Kurt Cobain had just shot his head off with a shotgun. Before that life-changing event, I hadn’t been the biggest fan of Nirvana, but I did recognize the immediate impact “Smells Like Teen Spirit” had on music, or at least on MTV. Nirvana had seemingly killed and buried Hair Metal, and they had done it single-handedly. What exactly was this “Alternative” sound? It was weird, because soon it felt like everything was “alternative,” and that didn’t make any sense. Once everything is the same, how can it be anything but standard, normal? Nirvana was okay, but at least at the time I was wearing the merch, I was much more into Offspring and Green Day and Tool. And that’s about as far as I went into...

I Must Betray You -- Ruta Sepetys

I appreciate the pacing. The author's epilogue includes her mission statement -- historical fiction as a way to keep history alive. Romanis is an obscure place, but she hopes people reading the book will take an interest in its history.  She also makes the point that there are no clean endings. So, the evil dictator and his wife were killed, but the problems they created didn't magically go away, the country still had to find its way and move forward, and it was a process.