Skip to main content

Tonight and Every Night (1945)


This is a romance, a musical, and a war/propaganda film. In other words, it has a lot of boxes to check off. 

Beautifully shot in technicolor, I kind of understand why some people write, "Who cares if there's a plot? It's beautiful." 

Kind of understand, but sorry... a film still needs to be good. 

One of the first problems with the plot, I guess, is that Rosalind (Rita Hayworth) can do better. Or to put it another way, she can have any man she wants. Paul (Lee Bowman) tries to make a quick move on her, and she sees it happening and calls him on it.  Which isn't to say that she shouldn't give him a second chance, but what exactly do they have in common? And, the second problem with films like this: They've known each other for a minute, and she's going to marry him and give up her dancing career just like that? Huh? 

Tommy (Marc Platt) is in love with Rosalind, too. But not only does he not say anything to her, but he essentially never shows it in any way that would make the audience see it. What Tommy does have going for him is that he's a natural dancer. I just wonder why Rosalind would fall in love with Paul instead? Is it because he's a heroic military type, while Tommy is a glasses wearing oddball? I'm really not sure what we're supposed to think, but fortunately for Tommy, if he's willing to give up Rosalind, Judy (Janet Blair) is right there to love him. 

Now why would Judy agree to be Tommy's second choice? She knows that Tommy loves Rosalind... but whatever. The Blitz is still on, and it won't matter, as Tommy and Judy are conveniently across the street from the theater in the pub when the pub is bombed to hell by the Germans. 

It felt like a really odd scene to include, although I guess it shows how heroic the theater was to stay open during Blitz (and how heroic the audience were to go to the theater...). It also gives Rosalind the reason, I guess, not to marry Paul and leave with him to Canada. She might be a civilian, but her place is to entertain and show the Germans that London will keep on carrying on, tonight and every night. 

Paul respects that. But since that's where the film ends, and he has to go on his mission to Canada, what are we to assume? That Paul and Rosalind call it off permanently? Or do they simply suspend their feelings until after the war? Paul has gone of missions before, but this time feels different, as if they can't have a future because they decided not to marry in the present... 

Oh yeah. Rita Hayworth was pregnant during the filming of this movie. I read that they shot most of her dance numbers early before her pregnancy started to show. Later scenes were shot with her in coats and holding newspapers and such to hide her growing belly. It wasn't super noticeable, but I did find myself trying to notice. Her husband at the time was Orsen Welles, and their marriage would only last about 4 years. Why? Because Welles didn't like to be tied down, not even to Rita freakin' Hayworth. Well, whatever, Welles. The man was a genius, but he didn't always make the best life choices. 

Rating: 3/5 stars

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Digging for the Truth" Experiment #4 -- The Federalist Radio Hour

I first heard of Sean Davis last week. He created an online magazine called The Federalist in 2011, and he currently has about 500,000 followers on X.  It was about last week that he posted something amazing. He suggested if the Supreme Court doesn't rule the way they should, not only should Trump just ignore the ruling, if they keep obstructing the administration, he should just dissolve the Court altogether.  And I thought, wow. This guy is saying outrageous stuff like that, and there's an audience for it.  So, I decided I'd listen to an episode of The Federalist podcast: April 17, 2025 -- Deportation, Due Process, and Deference to the American People (40 minutes) https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/deportation-due-process-and-deference-to-the/id983782306?i=1000703904873 In the 40-minute conversation, the host and guest discussed why due process wasn't required for illegal immigrants.  The case of Kilmar Armando Abrego Garcia was mentioned for a brief second, but...

In Utero

  In 1994, I wore my In Utero shirt to college. I’d walk down the hall, and people would look at the shirt. I still remember a professor looking at it, not apparently hip to the scene. She asked, “Bret, is there something you’re trying to tell us?” I had no idea what I was trying to say. Kurt Cobain had just shot his head off with a shotgun. Before that life-changing event, I hadn’t been the biggest fan of Nirvana, but I did recognize the immediate impact “Smells Like Teen Spirit” had on music, or at least on MTV. Nirvana had seemingly killed and buried Hair Metal, and they had done it single-handedly. What exactly was this “Alternative” sound? It was weird, because soon it felt like everything was “alternative,” and that didn’t make any sense. Once everything is the same, how can it be anything but standard, normal? Nirvana was okay, but at least at the time I was wearing the merch, I was much more into Offspring and Green Day and Tool. And that’s about as far as I went into...

I Must Betray You -- Ruta Sepetys

I appreciate the pacing. The author's epilogue includes her mission statement -- historical fiction as a way to keep history alive. Romanis is an obscure place, but she hopes people reading the book will take an interest in its history.  She also makes the point that there are no clean endings. So, the evil dictator and his wife were killed, but the problems they created didn't magically go away, the country still had to find its way and move forward, and it was a process.