Skip to main content

Send Me No Flowers (1964)


The third in the Doris Day/Rock Hudson/ Tony Randall trilogy, and I'm surprised to find out, the best of the three. 

I'd like to know more about Doris Day's hair. In this film, sometimes it looks like her normal hair, and sometimes it looks three times the size. It sort of reminds of NFL football player helmets -- the standard helmet versus the special helmet some players wear to protect their heads from concussions. 

But in all seriousness, I'm guessing that Day wore wigs for at least some of the scenes in this film, but if she did and didn't wear them for all scenes, I'm just left confused. Why did she have to wear wigs in some of the scenes? And why did they have to be so big?

Meanwhile, Tony Randall has a little bit better part here. In the first two films, he's a rich friend of Rock Hudson, and he goes to a psychiatrist. That's really all we know about him. In this film, he's a lawyer and neighbor, and he's got a drinking problem. He's married, too, but the one odd thing is we never see his wife, although the film spends enough time in his house that you'd think we'd see her at least through a door in the kitchen. Or something. Is she just imaginary?

In terms of the acting approach, I think I like Rock Hudson. He's so deadpan in this movie, but it works great. In the other films, his sexuality is sort of -- I assume accidentally -- called into question. In this film, there's a slight jab at him not being quite "Cary Grant." I like little inside (or maybe not so inside) jabs like that. But no, I have nothing against Rock Hudson. I've watched a lot more Cary Grant and Gregory Peck films, and I supposed I always thought Rock Hudson came in third... maybe he still does, but he does nice work with Doris Day, and I'm curious to see more of his stuff. 

The one thing Day and Hudson don't do very well is kiss. Did they not like kissing each other? Could they not act better and fake it? Usually, they seem to simply press their lips together without much meaning or emotion. Every so often, Day will give him a better kiss, and yes, I get Hudson was gay, but he was an actor, damn it, and if given a chance to kiss Doris Day on screen, he should have thought about Tony Curtis -- or whoever he needed to think of -- and earn his salary. 

Yes, the film is a romantic comedy, but it doesn't feel as formula as a lot of rom coms, and that's probably why I bump up the rating a bit. It includes Paul Lynde as a funeral director, and Lynde acts just like Lynde, but it's funny seeing him be Lynde as a funeral director. For some reason, I assumed that Lynde had been in a lot of films, but his IMDb indicates that he was only in a handful. That makes me think that this might be the best film to see him in action, at least as an actor. 

The ending has Winston (Hal March), one of George's (Hudson) friends, knock on the door. He doesn't know George is home, and he's brought a bouquet of roses to give to Judy (Day). Winston is a funny bachelor. He's game plan is to bed women when they're most vulnerable -- when they're on the brink of divorce. What Winston doesn't know is a) George is home, and b) he and Judy have reconciled. Winston is supposed to be George's friend, and Winston has already filled George in on how he takes advantage of women. So at first I wondered why Winston would sink so low as to hit on Judy. Maybe he's just a Quagmire type who would hit on anything or anyone. Or maybe Winston is seeking some revenge on George. That's never clarified, but George told Linda (Patricia Barry) what Winston was up to with her, essentially "cock blocking" him -- which also leads to Judy thinking George was having an affair... But if Linda did tell Winston that George was the one who ratted on him, I'm sure that didn't sit well with Winston, but then again, maybe he didn't care that much, as there are always vulnerable women around... 

When Winston rings the doorbell, George opens the door and Winston pushes the flowers right in his face without even looking apparently. George punches him right through the flowers, grabs the roses from the stunned Winston and slams the door. 

Judy and George remain together. I guess happily ever after, although we're still not sure why she ever left her college sweetheart, Bert (Clint Walker); nor do we know if George will seek a refund from the funeral director on that third plot he bought for Judy's potential future husband...

Rating: 4/5 stars


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Digging for the Truth" Experiment #4 -- The Federalist Radio Hour

I first heard of Sean Davis last week. He created an online magazine called The Federalist in 2011, and he currently has about 500,000 followers on X.  It was about last week that he posted something amazing. He suggested if the Supreme Court doesn't rule the way they should, not only should Trump just ignore the ruling, if they keep obstructing the administration, he should just dissolve the Court altogether.  And I thought, wow. This guy is saying outrageous stuff like that, and there's an audience for it.  So, I decided I'd listen to an episode of The Federalist podcast: April 17, 2025 -- Deportation, Due Process, and Deference to the American People (40 minutes) https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/deportation-due-process-and-deference-to-the/id983782306?i=1000703904873 In the 40-minute conversation, the host and guest discussed why due process wasn't required for illegal immigrants.  The case of Kilmar Armando Abrego Garcia was mentioned for a brief second, but...

In Utero

  In 1994, I wore my In Utero shirt to college. I’d walk down the hall, and people would look at the shirt. I still remember a professor looking at it, not apparently hip to the scene. She asked, “Bret, is there something you’re trying to tell us?” I had no idea what I was trying to say. Kurt Cobain had just shot his head off with a shotgun. Before that life-changing event, I hadn’t been the biggest fan of Nirvana, but I did recognize the immediate impact “Smells Like Teen Spirit” had on music, or at least on MTV. Nirvana had seemingly killed and buried Hair Metal, and they had done it single-handedly. What exactly was this “Alternative” sound? It was weird, because soon it felt like everything was “alternative,” and that didn’t make any sense. Once everything is the same, how can it be anything but standard, normal? Nirvana was okay, but at least at the time I was wearing the merch, I was much more into Offspring and Green Day and Tool. And that’s about as far as I went into...

I Must Betray You -- Ruta Sepetys

I appreciate the pacing. The author's epilogue includes her mission statement -- historical fiction as a way to keep history alive. Romanis is an obscure place, but she hopes people reading the book will take an interest in its history.  She also makes the point that there are no clean endings. So, the evil dictator and his wife were killed, but the problems they created didn't magically go away, the country still had to find its way and move forward, and it was a process.