Skip to main content

Two Weeks Notice (2002)


"Romantic films are the comfort food of the movies." -- Roger Ebert

According to Letterboxd, Drama is my favorite genre of movies. What continues to surprise me, however, is how many Romances I watch -- the number of comedies and the number of romances I watch run neck and neck for my second favorite genre.

Maybe what Ebert said about "Two Weeks Notice" -- and romantic films more generally -- explains why I watch them. More than just about any other genre, I know to expect. And part of the payoff is the happy ending. When a rom com works, the ending feels valid and natural. When it doesn't, well, then it feels like a toddler trying to force a square block into a circular hole.

In this film, I feel like the ending is okay, but the premise getting there is a bit beyond belief. Lucy (Sandra Bullock) is a crunchy-granola community activist. George (Hugh Grant) is a good-looking developer who rubs shoulders with Donald Trump -- and probably shares his values. Lucy accidently runs into George and somehow starts working for his legal department, even though she sees him as the devil.

For most of the film, their relationship is professional, and maybe she works for him as a way of "keeping her enemies closer." Eventually, she's worked for him just about a year and decides she needs to give her notice and go on to other things. Unfortunately, George has promised her that he will not knock down the community center, but she's quitting right before he's actually kept that promise.

Meanwhile, June (Alicia Witt) is the woman that will be replacing Lucy. She's attracted to George, and George is the kind of man who doesn't say no to attractive women who dig him. If George and Lucy don't previously recognize or acknowledge that they are in love with each other, maybe the ta-do over the community center and June's arrival on the scene have shown them that it's now or never to let each other know how they feel.

Lucy and her father have a brief conversation:

Larry (Robert Klein): As long as people can change, the world can change.

Lucy: What if people can't change?

Lucy is pretty sure that George can't change. George, in his defense, tells Lucy that she's pretty stubborn herself, and that it might be good for her to change a bit.

It's easier to see why George would need to change, and usually people that think others need to change see no reason why they need to change themselves. After all, isn't Lucy working for the public good? But thanks to Lucy's influence -- and his actual love for her -- George changes. He keeps his word to Lucy, and tells her that he loves her. He's willing to give up "everything" for her. Does Lucy change? That's harder to visualize, but I guess she changes in that she's willing to listen to George, and she's willing to forgive him. She also changes by vocalizing that she, too, is in love with him... maybe in the past, her major sin has been not allowing herself to be vulnerable in relationships.

I agree with Ebert. This movie is better than it has any real reason to deserve to be. Hugh Grant always does a great job playing Hugh Grant. Actually, that's not fair. Better said, Hugh Grant is a great actor because he never seems to be acting. He just embodies the part he plays. And so does Bullock. Both actors know the parts that fit their wheelhouses, and then when they play those parts, you see them as real people. The only drawback, I guess, is that you also so them as Grant and Bullock in every film -- the John Wayne actor's curse.

Finally, I should point out that Trump and Norah Jones appear in back-to-back scenes. Undoubtedly the only movie that can make that claim. Trump isn't a good actor, but he can say his brief lines and quickly walk off stage in a way that isn't completely awkward. It's too bad he didn't get more movie roles, or that The Apprentice never got canceled. It's a lot more fun just watching him be Trump when he doesn't also hold the fate of the United States and the World in his hands.

Rating: 3.5/5 stars

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Digging for the Truth" Experiment #4 -- The Federalist Radio Hour

I first heard of Sean Davis last week. He created an online magazine called The Federalist in 2011, and he currently has about 500,000 followers on X.  It was about last week that he posted something amazing. He suggested if the Supreme Court doesn't rule the way they should, not only should Trump just ignore the ruling, if they keep obstructing the administration, he should just dissolve the Court altogether.  And I thought, wow. This guy is saying outrageous stuff like that, and there's an audience for it.  So, I decided I'd listen to an episode of The Federalist podcast: April 17, 2025 -- Deportation, Due Process, and Deference to the American People (40 minutes) https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/deportation-due-process-and-deference-to-the/id983782306?i=1000703904873 In the 40-minute conversation, the host and guest discussed why due process wasn't required for illegal immigrants.  The case of Kilmar Armando Abrego Garcia was mentioned for a brief second, but...

In Utero

  In 1994, I wore my In Utero shirt to college. I’d walk down the hall, and people would look at the shirt. I still remember a professor looking at it, not apparently hip to the scene. She asked, “Bret, is there something you’re trying to tell us?” I had no idea what I was trying to say. Kurt Cobain had just shot his head off with a shotgun. Before that life-changing event, I hadn’t been the biggest fan of Nirvana, but I did recognize the immediate impact “Smells Like Teen Spirit” had on music, or at least on MTV. Nirvana had seemingly killed and buried Hair Metal, and they had done it single-handedly. What exactly was this “Alternative” sound? It was weird, because soon it felt like everything was “alternative,” and that didn’t make any sense. Once everything is the same, how can it be anything but standard, normal? Nirvana was okay, but at least at the time I was wearing the merch, I was much more into Offspring and Green Day and Tool. And that’s about as far as I went into...

I Must Betray You -- Ruta Sepetys

I appreciate the pacing. The author's epilogue includes her mission statement -- historical fiction as a way to keep history alive. Romanis is an obscure place, but she hopes people reading the book will take an interest in its history.  She also makes the point that there are no clean endings. So, the evil dictator and his wife were killed, but the problems they created didn't magically go away, the country still had to find its way and move forward, and it was a process.